If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (408) 600-2020

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What is Category 3 Water Damage?

12/5/2022 (Permalink)

flood waters overtake house Sewage and flooding are considered Category 3.

Water damage can be devastating to your Cambrian Park, CA home, but it's important to remember that there are different types of water damage. There are 3 different categories of water damage. Category 3 water damage is the worst kind, but fortunately for you, you've found this article! Here's what category 3 water damage is and how to deal with it.

What is Category 3 Water Damage?

Category 3 water is water that is highly unsanitary and contains pathogenic agents. This includes bacteria, viruses, and other types of pathogens that can cause sickness. Category 3 water is common to see after a sewage loss.

Can I clean it on my own?

No. You should never attempt to clean up category 3 water damage on your own, without the help of a professional. Doing so can result in further damage to your home and belongings, and can be harmful without the proper protective gear. As with any type of water loss, attempting to clean water damage on your own can also spread mold spores throughout your home or business.

Call a professional right away

You should call a professional contractor right away to help you clean up the mess, determine the extent of the damage and decide what to do next.

If you don't act quickly and properly, mold can grow in as little as 48 hours after water damage has occurred. Waiting to act can also pose a risk to the people on your property. You don't want to be dealing with this problem on your own--it's important that you hire a certified company that specializes in water extraction and mold remediation services.

Will my insurance cover my losses?

If you have insurance and believe the damage was caused by a flood, you should file a claim with your insurer. However, even if you don't have insurance coverage for flooding or water damage, it's still possible to receive financial assistance from FEMA.

For more information about filing a claim with your insurer, contact them directly. If possible, make sure to gather documentation for all of your losses before filing the claim such as photos and receipts for damaged property. Companies such as SERVPRO can take care of the entire claims process for you.


Category 3 water damage is a serious matter and can be extremely costly. The best way to avoid this disaster is by knowing what to look for and acting quickly. If you do find yourself in this situation, contact SERVPRO of Los Gatos/ Monte Sereno immediately so that they can help with the cleaning process as soon as possible! Our team has the expertise and experience necessary to handle a water loss of any size.

Other News

View Recent Posts

Online access

Our simple online system makes it possible to access your Construction project from any computer, tablet, or smartphone.