Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
The aftermath of a fire can be very disorientating and overwhelming. Even the smallest fire can lead to a ton of soot and smoke damage all throughout your property. What do you do after a fire?
We urge our Los Gatos community to call our local SERVPRO team as quickly as possible. We offer our emergency cleanup services around the clock, so we can be there at a moment's notice. Until our team arrives, there are a few do's and don'ts. Safety is always of the utmost concern. Take a minute to review our Fire Damage Tips down below to be better prepared in the event of a fire.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (408) 600-2020
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.